What is GapFill.org and what is its mission?
GapFill and its donors share a common desire to help support Christian missionaries. Most Christians have a general desire to help those less fortunate than themselves. However, most Christians are not able to drop everything to go build orphanages in Swaziland or organize the construction of a much needed bridge for a village in Papa New Guinea. There are the few Christians though who have decided to make the decision to do just that and GapFill and its donors believe that it’s our responsibility to help those who have made this commitment succeed.
Many Christians want to help, but are hesitate to commit to a specific dollar amount each month or are not comfortable giving blindly to a cause without knowing where their money is going. That’s where GapFill comes in (think of it like a Craigslist for missionaries). GapFill.org is an online tool that allows missionaries to post specific items that they need. Donors can then come to GapFill.org and choose to buy (or donate towards) a particular item for a specific missionary. There’s no question where your money is going and there’s no long-term commitment that has to be made.
What kinds of items are posted to GapFill?
Items range from personal in nature, for example, hearing aids, to specific projects such as, helping to build a children’s orphanage in Africa and everything in between. Since items are always changing it is best to visit our “Items Needed” tab on the GapFill.org website to see current needed items.
So how does this partnership with donors work?
Well…GapFill’s promises are simple…
- We will pray daily for GapFill.org, its missionaries, donors and for where God is leading it.
- We will be transparent…currently over 90% of all donations go directly to the missionary need (the rest go to PayPal fees, website domain fees, postage etc.). Since all staff to date have been volunteers, this is currently doable. We would like to continue to have 90% of donations go directly to the missionary need but also want to begin to put aside monies for potential growth and possible paid staff. (Check with other nonprofits, this is extremely conservative, most nonprofits take 15-25% for operational expenses.) This will help us get beyond just spending weekends to get the word out about GapFill.org but more importantly to meet the needs of the missionaries.
What we need donors to do…
- Join us in praying for GapFill.org and the missionary needs posted. As a prayer warrior and intercessor myself, I know how effective the power of prayer, especially communal prayer, is.
- Tell us about Christian missionaries you may know who are in need of a specific item that could help them move their ministry along. It could be a personal device that they need and/or something to help a project they are doing move along.
- If you are a member of Facebook, “like” our nonprofit Facebook page gapfill.org. Facebook is a free social media tool that can help spread the word about GapFill.org. This will also ensure you stay up to date on the latest GapFill needs.
- Join GapFill.org on causes.com. Again, another free social media tool that allows you to tell others about the missionary needs on GapFill. You can also donate directly through causes.com for a missionary needed item.
- Follow our blog at blog.gapfill.org. Blogs are meant to be much more personal and it will give you a feel of the passion that we have to help missionaries. We will also begin having a “Missionary Monday” where the missionaries themselves will be the bloggers and you can get a feel for what they are like and why they do what they do.
- Once GapFill.org begins to get more activity, we will start tweeting about needed items so you can follow the missionary needs on twitter.com.
- Present some of GapFill’s needed items to your Church as a project to support for a “Missionary Fair” or one-time gift during Thanksgiving or Christmastime.
- Contact us if your church is interested in having us come and speak about GapFill. We are currently located in Phoenix, AZ, however, we do have missionaries in other areas that could possibly speak. Send us an email and share your thoughts.
The items on GapFill.org are just one small way to “fill in the gap” to further God’s work. We would love for you to be a part of us.
Remember….”God is able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! (Ephesians 3:20-21)
Joyce is the Founder and Executive Director of GapFill.org with a masters in nonprofit management. Visit our “Items Needed” tab on the GapFill.org website to see if God is calling you to “fill in the gap” for a missionary in need. To receive our blog posts automatically via email, enter your email address in the “FOLLOW GAPFILL VIA EMAIL” box on the right-hand side of the blog and click “Follow”.